Question: What do you get the person who has everything this holiday?
Elephant poo paper that is. It's actually made from elephant dung, and you'd be amazed at the quality of the paper. Seriously, it's strangely well made.
What are the chances your hard-to-buy for gift recipient has a paper cube made from elephant poop?:)
And in case you're wondering, not to worry. It doesn't smell like sh#t.
You'll find this unique gem and a few other elephant poo paper products tucked away on the pages of the Global Exchange Online Store website. It's got 100 sheets of -- hehe -- elephant dung paper.
And this paper is helping to save elephants. In Sri Lanka, many elephants are killed not for their meat, tusks, or hide. They're killed simply because they interfere with local agribusiness. A solution for both villagers AND elephants has been to find ways to utilize the elephant as a sustainable economic resource. Some enterprising person looked at a pile of pooh and said, "I see paper!"
P.S. The elephant pooh paper cube is also a perfect give choice for bosses who assign one too many TPS report assignments:)
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
Congratulations to Global Exchange Fair Trade Store blog reader bayctygrl, the winner of our Fair Trade Trick or Treat Action Kit Giveaway!
We asked readers what they're doing to celebrate Fair Trade month. Here's what bayctygrl said:
I am going to hand out some choc. to adults! well to a few because I don't have a lot of money, I think I should print up some leaflets too and have my daughter give them in exchange for her goody. that way (they) both get a "treat".
Thanks to all of you who shared comments with us about how you're celebrating Fair Trade month. Keep up the great and have fun!
Thursday, October 15, 2009
We're halfway through Fair Trade Month and our Global Exchange Fair Trade Store in DC is hosting a Fair Trade Night and you are invited.
- a screening of the incredible movie The Fair Trade , which tells the dramatic story of the founder of Anti-Body Fair Trade cosmetics & how she came to dedicate her life to Fair Trade
- a mini-spa launch of our new line of Anti-Body beauty products, including lotions, free-range bath fizzers & more! Try out their fabulous scents - it's all Fair Trade!
- a book-signing by Jackie DeCarlo, author of Fair Trade: A Beginner's Guide, & learn how you can help "Fair Trade the White House"
- a divine-ly delicious chocolate tasting from Divine Chocolate!
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
We here at the Global Exchange Online Store would really like to hear more from you regarding our website (www.globalexchangestore.org), our Fair Trade products, and our services.
Please take a few minutes to take our short online survey and receive 10% off of all purchases of $50.00 or more from www.globalexchangestore.org as a token of our appreciation!
Click Here to take survey
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Project Green Search (www.projectgreensearch.com) is a model contest with an eco-edge, and Global Exchange's San Francisco Fair Trade Store Assistant Manager Ariel Clay is in the running!
The contest is searching for the new face of sustainability and the green movement. A “Green Model” should represent the entire green community and be a role model for combining beauty and eco-activism.
Here's what Ariel had to say:
I want to be the next “Green Model” because I am committed to a daily practice of living a beautiful, eco-minded life, one that I want to share with others by bringing awareness to a wider audience. The recent discovery that modeling can be connected to social activism has made me very excited about becoming a “Green Model.” I have been lucky enough, since I live in San Francisco, to work with designers, stylists, photographers, and brands that share my vision for natural beauty and environmentalism.
To read more thoughts from Ariel, to view her portfolio and vote for her visit her page on Project Green Search.
Voting is simple: once you're on Ariel's voting page, make sure all 5 stars are highlighted and then click on them to cast your vote. It takes just a few seconds. (Fyi, the contest only allows one vote per computer/IP address.)
In the meantime, check out this cute video Ariel made, with the help of a few friends:)
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
October is Fair Trade month and we want to know how you're celebrating. Tell us what you're doing by leaving a comment in the Comment field below. One lucky winner will receive a FREE Fair Trade Trick or Treat Action Kit!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Check out 31 Ways to celebrate 31 Days of Fair Trade. TransFair USA has done a terrific job of putting together great ideas about celebrating and promoting Fair Trade. Visit FairTradeMonth.org.
2. Hand out Fair Trade chocolates to Trick-or-Treaters along with info about the importance of choosing Fair Trade. Our Action Kits come with chocolates AND info cards: Trick-or-Treat Action Kits.
3. Make your Halloween costume count. Use your creativity to incorporate Fair Trade into your Halloween costume. Just picture yourself walking down the street dressed as a giant Fair Trade banana!
4. Take part in Reverse Trick or Treating. For the third year in a row, thousands of kids will be handing chocolate out to adults around Halloween. FAIR TRADE chocolate of course:) Visit our Fair Trade Campaign page to get involved.
5. Throw a Fair Trade Halloween event. Visit TransFair USA for great resources to help you out and register your event. TransFairUSA.org
And don't forget to leave a comment below about what you're planning to do to celebrate Fair Trade month. The winner will be announced on our blog Oct. 21st!